What is Depression?
We have all experienced a period of low mood at one time or another in our lives. However, how can you tell if you have depression or are just feeling down?
Depression is characterised by a number of common symptoms. These include;
- a persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
- feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness
- lack of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed
- Insomnia, early-morning awakening, and oversleeping
- Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating
- decreased energy, fatigue, and a constant feeling of being “slowed down.”
- restlessness and irritability
- difficulty concentrating, remembering, and trouble making decisions
- headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain
- thoughts of suicide
Depression can be a gradual withdrawal from your active life.
What differentiates feeling down due to everyday life challenges from depression is the severity of the symptoms listed above, and how long you’ve experienced them.
There is a 24 hour cycle to depression and the reason why depression takes hold is linked to our sleeping patterns during this time. People with depression spend up to 4 times longer in the REM state when asleep. The REM state is paradoxical sleep, meaning that we are as conscious in this state as we are when we are awake. Because of this, the body doesn’t get to complete its ‘housekeeping’ and give us the deep sleep we need. We then wake up tired and begin to ruminate on our problems and the cycle begins again. Depression robs the body of its production of serotonin, the neurotransmitter which regulates our mood, appetite and energy levels.
Hypnotherapy for Depression
Hypnotherapy and EFT (emotional freedom technique) are extremely effective at breaking the cycle of depression by;
- Calming the mind, allowing people to gain perspective on their situation
- Reconnecting people with their inner resources
- Clearing emotional blockages
- Dismantling negative beliefs and replacing them with more supportive and positive ones
- Addressing sleep problems allowing people to get the sleep their body needs
- Tackling negative thought patterns and reprogramming the brain with positive ones
Many people report a significant shift in mood using hypnotherapy for depression in only a few sessions. Don’t let depression become part of who you are.