Have you ever noticed how people love to tell their stories?
Particularly the ones about what is going wrong in their life?
More importantly, have you ever taken note of the stories you are telling and what your stories are attracting into your life?
I will never forget being sat next to a colleague at work who had just returned from a week long break in Europe with her Daughter. When anyone asked ‘how was your holiday?’ she replied ‘I was sick for the first two days’. Not a mention of how wonderful it was to spend time relaxing with her daughter. Not a squeak about the feel of the sun on her skin or the delight taken from swimming in the ocean. Not a word uttered of how tantalising the local cuisine tasted or just how lucky she felt that she could afford to take the pair of them away when so many people are struggling with money. Over and over again she told people her story of how she was ‘sick for the first two days’ to the point I wanted to get a one way ticket out of the office.
Why are we so intent on beating the drum of what isn’t going well in life? So practiced are we at giving our attention to what is wrong that we can become blinded from what is going well and appreciate what we have got.
Imagine your brain is like a radio, the more tuned in you are to sad.fm the worse you will feel about yourself and your life. However practice tuning in more to happy.fm and watch how day by day your thinking shifts, your energy rises and how you also begin to attract positive things into your life.
Top tips to change your thought patterns and feel good now
- Start by making the decision to tell a different story and feel good now!
- What do you want your story to say if you are asked how are things? Try saying ‘things are brilliant for me right now, life feels good and I am so grateful for what I have!’
- Let go of the negative thoughts and spend a minute focusing on thoughts that make you feel good. Reach for the best feeling thoughts you can find. It may be about your pet, a conversation with a friend that made you laugh or a memory of a holiday anything that makes you feel good. When you start to feel good, it makes it easier to choose a different emotion
- Get general instead of specific and you will feel relief. Focus on what you do want and not on what you don’t want i.e. I don’t want to be in this job, I don’t want to feel this way, I don’t want to be over weight. By focusing on what you DO want, you begin to create new neural pathways in the brain which help to attract the things you do want into your life
- Watch what subliminal messages you are feeding yourself such as ‘I will never lose weight’, ‘I will never get that job’, ‘I will never attract that guy’ because guess what, if you believe that, then you won’t.
- You can’t change the way people respond to you, but you can change the way you respond to them. Don’t get sucked down by other peoples negative energy.
- Start caring about how you feel and listen to your internal guidance system. You have a choice about how you feel so make the commitment today to feel good no matter what
“Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why we call it ‘The Present’.” attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt