Edinburgh Hypnotherapy | Hypnotherapy for Stress Relief
Stress and Anxiety
Do you find that…
- You have trouble sleeping at night?
- You struggle to focus and concentrate?
- You wake up feeling tired?
- You find it hard to emotionally connect with people
- Your mind often feels like it is on overdrive and you struggle to calm it down?
- You often find yourself worrying about future events?
- Your emotions feel very up and down and hard for you to manage?
A little stress now and again is normal and part of our human experience. But when stress takes hold of you, it can pull you down, leaving you feeling overwhelmed.
When you get stressed a number of physical things happen;
- Adrenalin, cortisol and other stress hormones flood the body
- The digestive, immune and reproductive system shut down
- Blood flow is diverted from vital organs to the limbs
- Blood pressure increases
- Saliva production diminishes
- Senses become heightened
- The thinking brain shuts down
Stress was only ever designed to be short term. Think back to our hunter gatherer days and we needed it to fight the sabre tooth tiger or run away. Today’s sabre tooth tigers come in the form of managers, delayed trains, financial worry, redundancy, relationship issues or illness to name a few. Any level of stress has a significant effect on our physical and mental health.
Some of the long term persistent effects of stress include;
- Panic attacks
- Post traumatic stress
- Anxiety attacks
- Breathlessness, chest pain
- Heart disease and problems with blood pressure
- Gut malfunction (poor absorption, persistent diarrhoea, constipation of IBS)
- More prone to illness
- Problems with short term memory and inability to concentrate or focus
- Poor appetite
- Tendency to be over sensitive, emotional and unable to put situations into context
- Insomnia or general sleeping problems
- Rumination of thoughts leading to mental and physical exhaustion
The good news is that stress can be managed. At times it can feel that stress controls you but you can change that with some help in the form of hypnotherapy and psychotherapy.
What a session of hypnotherapy will give you to beat stress;
Understand exactly what stress is, how to recognise it and how to manage it
Stabalise your emotions by understanding the link between mood and food
Let go of the reasons you are currently feeling stressed
Learn how to manage any further stress with specific techniques
Change your thought patterns so that you build up better resilience against stress
Get you sleeping better so that you have greater spare capacity to manage what happens in life